Controlling the Flood

Black Six

What should our flood control settings be?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BZPower has long made use a feature called 'flood control' to lower the stress on our server. There are currently two types of flood control in use:

• Search flood control
  • Post flood control
Search flood control is the more important one - it slows down how long you have to wait in between searches. When you do a search on BZPower, it has to look at nearly every entry in the database to see if there's a match. If you can do a lot of searches back-to-back, it results in a lot of queries searching for a lot of stuff. If multiple people are doing that at the same time it could in theory bog down the server and make it slower for everyone.

Post flood control controls how long you wait in between making new posts. Making a post means you need to write all the information, who you are, when you're posting, where you're posting, your actual post, etc... to the database. This takes some time since writing to the database takes longer than reading from it (but not as long as searching). If there was no delay between posts and many members were active at the same time, there could be errors if two posts tried to be written at the exact same time.

With all that in mind, let us know what you think about the current settings for flood control on BZPower and what you think makes sense given our current level of activity.

• Upvote 1

I think the current setting for posts are fine. I can't see how that could even be in the way unless you are spamming.

As for searches, I voted to reduce it to 10 seconds, but I don't know if that is a good idea or not. I just tend to search the wrong things first whenever I am searching, and then the next 20 seconds feel ridiculously long. Might be better for it to stay at 20 though, I don't know. *shrug*

Dr. Hyperspace here frequently runs into both. :P Post control gets me when I try to post a new topic immediately after posting in a topic. I don't search as often, but I run into situations where I want to do multiple searches and I trip over the flood control several times.

10 and zero. :P Speaking in my own blurred reflexes only.  

30 seconds is fine for post flood control.

Searches, however, I don't think should have flood control. It doesn't seem like a feature that would be used to the point of server strain, and usually when I use it, I need to use it two or three times in succession to find the page I'm looking for, and the flood control gets annoying.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I feel that the flood controlling timers are good right now, although with the amount of active members currently, it could be lowered. However, if BZP does end up becoming more popular, they might need to raise them is my opinion. This is just so that there isnt a lot of server down times in the future.

When I search I generally do quite a few in quick succession to try to nail down something specific. I don't do it often but When I do I run into flood control a lot.

I'm not even sure I knew we had post flood control. 

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Gonna be honest here. I couldn't stop thinking of Halo when I read "Controlling the Flood."

30 and 0. Waiting to search is just a pain, and I only search very rarely, making it even more bothersome if I need to research thanks to some misspelling or whatnot.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Gonna be honest here. I couldn't stop thinking of Halo when I read "Controlling the Flood."

Not gonna lie, Black Six is a big nerd and that is almost definitely what he was thinking too.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I have no idea what I'd answer, honestly. I only ever get flood control warnings on rare occasions, and when I do I'm generally more than content to wait. However, if I had to wait longer than I do now it's entirely possible that I'd encounter the warnings more often, which would be frustrating. Generally I don't even pay attention to how much time passes between my posts (I'd imagine it's longer than for a lot of people since my posts tend to be so long, but shorter than others since I post somewhat frequently), so I can't really even offer a ballpark estimate of what I could or couldn't tolerate.

I voted for no flood control, but if you didn't want to take it that far, I would opt for 10 secs across the board. I do a lot of tab browsing, so flood control has always hindered me, but I understand it's there for a reason.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

I don't bump into these too often, and, when I do, it's usually the post flood control, since I don't search things much.

I'd recommend decreasing the time limit, anyway. Usually when it happens search-wise for me is if I'm searching for something, but misspell it, then fix it and try again, and am stopped by a "Wait 30 seconds" dialogue.

Post-wise, I sometimes have several pages open, with some posts partially written, so I come into the post flood control sometimes.

But yeah. I guess I'd like having the times decreased, since I understand why they're there.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I think the current settings are fine. The search settings can be annoying, but it's only 30 seconds. As for the posting controls: I don't think anyone really needs to be posting more than once every 30 seconds. I know I don't.

But Eyru, think of my legendary rapid-fire posting! How could you forget me?

I mean, I can sort of handle the posting flood, but it really puts a dent in my RPing from time to time.

The main place I have encountered an issue with post flood control is in Library topics. Since I often write chapters in advance on a Word document and copy-paste them on BZP when I am ready, if I ever want to post more than one chapter the flood control gets in my way. Worse still, sometimes the flood control kicks out the most recent chapter I posted from the reply box. I think having the same flood settings for posting and searching (20 seconds) should be enough to cut down on spam. I'm honestly not sure why they are different in the first place.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!