3D-printable Bionicle torso shell

CeziuM

Looks pretty good, though I think the model would look a lot better if you subdivided it. Right now it looks a little low poly. I've had the issue with filled up holes on some of my models too. I have no idea whats causing it, but removing double vertices and recalculating the normals helped in some of the cases.

Hail Denmark

Looks pretty good, though I think the model would look a lot better if you subdivided it. Right now it looks a little low poly. I've had the issue with filled up holes on some of my models too. I have no idea whats causing it, but removing double vertices and recalculating the normals helped in some of the cases.

Ey, thanks. I've tried multiple methods, and I've found that fixing it using the boolean works really well. For simpler objects another easy method is just creating another one, which also fixes the problem. It's possible that shapeways doesn't register the inner vertices at times, so just "rewriting" them solves the problem.

29326988131_0ea1908567_z.jpg

Want your own Mask of Ultimate Power? Now available for 3D-printing: http://shpws.me/MuFX

• 2 weeks later...

I love this community, and I love 3-D Printing. Lego doesn't have what we need? Shoot, lets make it ourselves!

This is great. When I get a Toa (if stores still sell them) I'll try and get one of these to make 'em look better. Thanks!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious if anyone's bought and received it yet, and how the connections and texture are. My father purchased some custom designed lego equivalent components from Shapeways once, and the texture was rough and the connection was too loose to make them of use, so I'm curious if this works better.

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

Ey, thanks everyone.

Have you fixed the issue with the socket?

Aye, been trying out multiple fixes over the past period, will upload the edited version later today.

I'm curious if anyone's bought and received it yet, and how the connections and texture are. My father purchased some custom designed lego equivalent components from Shapeways once, and the texture was rough and the connection was too loose to make them of use, so I'm curious if this works better.

I've bought one for myself, and Logan McOwen has bought one as well. The socket on the current version is a bit too tight, so as to prevent it from breaking during the manufacturing process. I've been trying to work around it, so the updated version will come soon. The texture largely depends on the material used, whilst the basic plastic has a rough texture. I always use exact TLG measures for making my 3D models, so they aren't loose. Sometimes they're a bit snug due to the 3D printing itself, but it's nothing a bit of sanding down can't fix.

• Upvote 2

Want your own Mask of Ultimate Power? Now available for 3D-printing: http://shpws.me/MuFX

Ayoo, 3D experienced person here, you definitely want to make sure your model's manifold, as in no open edges, no double edges, no weird stuff like that. Depending on the program you're using, there should be an automatic check for it, but what you're looking for is basically any edge that isn't connected to exactly two polygons, those are the ones that cause trouble.

Oh, and also self-intersecting geometry makes printer programs hate you

I make stuff sometimes.

This is amazing! Love the retro look on it. I really hope Bionicle goes to some more piston-type looks on their pieces. I loved that about them. I might just have to order a piece or two....

Keep up the amazing work!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I'm surprised the actual sets don't have more of these themselves.

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

As promised, the fixed version is now published. Click the link to check it out! Pictures of the real thing will follow up soon, so stay tuned for that.

Ayoo, 3D experienced person here, you definitely want to make sure your model's manifold, as in no open edges, no double edges, no weird stuff like that. Depending on the program you're using, there should be an automatic check for it, but what you're looking for is basically any edge that isn't connected to exactly two polygons, those are the ones that cause trouble.

Yeah that's literally the basic procedure with printable models for me xP Aside from the auto-checker, I always check everything manually to make sure everything's in order. I've found that 99% of the time merging and welding down everything that's too close together does the trick. As far as this model goes, it appears that Shapeways didn't register the boolean holes properly for whatever reason, so I just re-did them and everything was fixed. It's weird how it doesn't register some aspects of the model at times though, even if the edited version has no difference in the affected area.

As promised, the fixed version is now published. Click the link to check it out! Pictures of the real thing will follow up soon, so stay tuned for that.

Yeah that's literally the basic procedure with printable models for me xP Aside from the auto-checker, I always check everything manually to make sure everything's in order. I've found that 99% of the time merging and welding down everything that's too close together does the trick. As far as this model goes, it appears that Shapeways didn't register the boolean holes properly for whatever reason, so I just re-did them and everything was fixed. It's weird how it doesn't register some aspects of the model at times though, even if the edited version has no difference in the affected area.

Sounds to me like a problem with exporting the model, are you exporting to .stl or using the program's native format?

I make stuff sometimes.

Sounds to me like a problem with exporting the model, are you exporting to .stl or using the program's native format?

Neither, I use the .obj format. I also regularly check the .obj files in a 3D-printer/viewer program to make sure they're properly exported. So far I've only encountered this error with Shapeways

Neither, I use the .obj format. I also regularly check the .obj files in a 3D-printer/viewer program to make sure they're properly exported. So far I've only encountered this error with Shapeways

Well, then that's really odd. Perhaps worth reporting to the shapeways team?

I make stuff sometimes.

Well, then that's really odd. Perhaps worth reporting to the shapeways team?

Hmm, maybe. It's probably not something they're unaware of though. I've encountered the same error with that pedestal I made, but I didn't really pay much attention to it since it was only one polygon which was easily fixable. If this continues I'll report it, maybe they can offer some help.

Holy smokes... I definitely want to get my hands on it now. Heck, I'll review it if you want.

How do I pay for it, though? Do I have to be a member of shapeways, or is there another acceptable means?

Ey, thanks! Since I've updated the socket on this version, a review would be most helpful

I think you can order it without signing up, but I'd recommend opening an account, purely for the sake of better service and refunds. As far as payment methods go, all basic means like paypal and credit card are accepted.

Platinum

Solid Platinum hand-polished to a beautiful smooth sheen

$9,999.00

I hope for your sake some one buys that.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Hey everyone, it's me again with another custom thing.

This time it's a Gen2 adapted Mata torso, go check it out here: http://shpws.me/JywU

On a side note, I don't suppose anyone here knows what's causing the error with the Shapeways render where it fills up the pin holes?

EDIT: The pin hole error has been fixed, the print should be error-free now.

625x465_3696736_11556175_1438895369.jpg

How did you get the exact dimensions for making this?