The Official Minecraft Topic

Guys, I just had the best idea ever.Crafting potions with arrows. Any potion, so long as it isn't a splash potion. Anyone (or anything) hit with the arrow will then get the full effects of the potion. (This would, of course, require tweaking item IDs a bit to give the options for that many different arrows, and would also require coding to put in some kind of priority system for arrows being fired from stacks in the inventory, but it's still awesome) Now, the first thing most people are going to do is make poisoned arrows and hunt mobs with that, but that's because they have no imagination.Imagine hitting someone with an arrow that gives them night vision, or invisibility, or extra health. Especially that last one. Just *thwip* *thwack* *victim looks at health bar* 'What was even the point of that!?'

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I see no reason why splash potions can't get into this action. Sure, pinpoint attacks are nice, but sometimes there's a giant mob of buggers outside of your castle and you want to deal with them quickly.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yeah but sometimes you need range, and sometimes you need to turn a skeleton fifty blocks away invisible. Splash potions don't have the kind of range or precision an arrow has, even if you're shooting them out of a dispenser.Plus, admit it, an arrow doused in health potion is the funniest thing ever.Plus, when there's a giant mob of buggers outside of my castle, I thank myself for building everything out of TNT, and then I push a button.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

No no, I mean, craft the arrow with a splash potion. I refer to this bit;

Crafting potions with arrows. Any potion, so long as it isn't a splash potion.
I see no reason why I can't have a sniper health potion and an RPG health potion.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

No no, I mean, craft the arrow with a splash potion. I refer to this bit;
Crafting potions with arrows. Any potion, so long as it isn't a splash potion.
I see no reason why I can't have a sniper health potion and an RPG health potion.
Because then you're getting a little overpowered. Splash potions for area, arrow potions for range and precision; that's nice and balanced. Splash potion arrows just make it too overpowered, because then you could take out massive legions from a hundred meters away, and that's just unfair.On another note, I'm working on a little creative singleplayer project. I made three little models of castles/forts/whatnot, and now I'm building largescale versions of them. I've completed one so far, and I'm starting on a second one now. I'm using vanilla creative plus MCEdit for this, as I don't want to have to build a 100-block-square, 30-block-high, 3-block-thick wall all by myself, lol.

banner.jpg

Oh.I just kind of figured it would be redundant, and thus an unlikely move for Mojang, but yeah, if they make the splash-arrows act like a splash potion once they make contact, that could work.Plus, it would make my style of trolling so much more fun. Hitting people with wildly inappropriate, mostly harmless potions is just one of the best things in life.EDIT: Honestly, if you're good enough to get a ballpark hit under normal conditions at 100 meters in Minecraft, you deserve some pretty spectacular results.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeeeeah, if you've trained long enough and hard enough to do that you deserve wiping out legions. And besides, it's only a 5x5 splash area, unless your enemy is using napoleonic tactics you can't kill THAT many of them.What I want to see is a greater emphasis on spying in minecraft wars now, what with the invisibility potions and all.

voidstars.png

What I want to see is a greater emphasis on giving me a bow, some magic arrows, and just standing back.Also, PM, I just read the bit about your creative project... Are you familiar with the things I did on Nav's server when I didn't have creative mode?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

As you know, I'm absolute ###### without creative. :PThe mountain, you mean? That's the only thing I really saw.Also, the problem with arrows is that even if you're the best shot in the whole world, there's still a bit of randomness to it. To see what I mean, aim at a spot, unplug your mouse, and fire away; then go find the arrows; they'll have a pretty decent spread to them.

banner.jpg

Oh right, you didn't really join Nav's server until late in the coherent period. Huh.Anyway, you don't have any actual building skill in creative that you don't have outside of creative. It's just a matter of whether you have the parts, and as Doctor Who taught us, if you don't have the parts, you can solve everything by building clockwork robots dressed as flamboyant 18th century Frenchmen and sending them to cut up people's brains.That is a slight problem with arrows, but, if anything, it supports our argument that splash potion arrows wouldn't be overpowered. At 100 meters, that slight variation means you could aim for Canada from the United States and hit Mexico.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Um... Yeah...See, the problem with me is that I don't like to go mining. I also like to be able to fly. Those two things aren't a problem in creative. In survival, I'd need to spend hours demolishing nether fortresses and deserts to get enough nether brick and sandstone to build what I just built in 4 hours in creative with the help of MCEdit. That would have taken a day or three in legit survival. Plus, there's the problem of not screwing up, not falling off scaffolding, crafting about 80 flint & steel, using the flint and steel without burning myself to a crisp, killing 20 slimes, and so on and so on... all in a superflat world.

banner.jpg

Well, you know, you could have just made a superflat world with layers of the materials you actually need.(Also MCEdit kind of takes all of the impressiveness out.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

True, but it also gets the work done, and it's not as if I'm just building in MCEdit. I only use MCEdit for fairly modular builds or giant walls, as both would take forever in vanilla, and with modular builds, I still have to build one module.

banner.jpg

You know what also gets the work done? Sock-eating insanity. That's my favorite building tool, as anyone who played on Nav's server before a certain party crashed it (for, what, the fifth time?) could tell you.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well that's just so classy of him. Really, the great thing about that server was how little he was involved in actually running it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, the All Seeing Eye usually was on lunch breaks even when he was logged in.Wish we had another big server that everyone could get on.

voidstars.png

http://www.majhost.c...ry.cgi?f=270031Except for the wings, I'm happy with how this turned out. With how hollow the inside is I was going to make a base inside, but I've spent too much time on it already...just going to shove a ladder along the inside of his spine so you can stand on his head.
always happy to see a digimon fan elsewhere on the internet.
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

So it turns out that Wither Skeletons don't drop their skulls nearly as often as I'd like. Guess it's going to be a little while before my skull pyramid becomes a thing that exists (and no I'm not building it hollow, that would be cheap and sad).In other news, LB Photorealism hasn't updated yet, so I'm using the Atherys Ascended 32x32 texture pack. It's... well it's definitely not trying to look like real life, but it makes the Nether look pretty awesome (the same cannot, alas, be said for Ghasts, as they end up kind of goofy-looking, but I think that's just generally their fate).

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, I know, but there's a difference between them saying that and me finding out the practical reality of what that means.On the other hand, they seem less rare than zombie-dropped potatoes, so there's that. Still haven't acquired a potato, while my newly-built minecart track that takes me to a Nether Fortress should make collecting all manner of fun mob drops so much easier.Speaking of that, if you want to be protected from ghasts, build a two-block wide road with three-block high cobblestone walls (cobblestone or another material that can withstand Ghast-hits). Even if a ghast manages to target you, the fireball will hit the tops of the walls unless it's directly above you, and if it's directly above you there's a great opportunity for just killing it and being done with the whole mess.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So, I'm not the only one who finds getting Wither Skeleton skulls a pain in the backside? I also hope I'm not the only one who finds the lack of rewards from killing a Wither disappointing. What, 15 exp and 1 Nether Star if you're lucky?I'd also like zombie/skeleton/creeper heads to be available as drops in Survival. It's a shame that they're not. They make great trophies.I've been using Beacons in creative mode though, and they are so useful for my multi-village world.

Wither skeletons drop heads more often if you kill them with a Looting sword, and you can two-hit them with a Smite IV sword, which is also great for fighting the Wither.I spawned a Wither with my friend on a server I frequent, and we realized what a huge mistake we had made. We found a Nether Fortress, made a portal, and came out in a Giant Cave, which is basically just a... well, a giant cave... created by a Bukkit plugin. Anyway, we got our 3 Wither Skeleton skulls and our 4 Soul Sand, built the Wither, and tried to fight it. We failed repeatedly, as was expected, but we had a nice little hut on the surface (we came out in the middle of a huge ocean, but we built a platform) and we expected that the Wither would stay down there. We were wrong. Mister Wither is now roaming around aimlessly in the endless ocean until someone kills it.

banner.jpg

Mmh. I'm going to build a special temple sort of thing for when I actually decide to bother with fighting the Wither, I'm going to give it all of the security I can possibly manage to give it (such as being very far from anything I actually care about), and then I'm probably going to die hilariously.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Obsidian is slated to be the primary material, yes.So what can you tell me about fighting the Wither?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

From the sound of it, enchanted projectile weapons work up until the mid-point of the battle, at which point the best strategy would appear to be getting stabby. As an Undead mob, the Wither can, from what I've read, be harmed by Health/Regeneration potions, and as those just happen to heal the player in the process, they would seem to be very good weapons.The Anvil should make getting a bow that does the job for the first half of the battle a bit easier... As arrows are apparently the only way to block a Wither Skull, Infinity is a must, and obviously enchantments regarding power are useful. Fire is nice for visuals but the wiki says the Wither doesn't mind fire, so it's not important.The key thing, from my reading, would appear to be not getting hit, but I would like the input of someone who has fought and killed a Wither.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

That sounds like a plan. I'll build plenty of cover into the place I'm going to use for the fight. Sure, the Wither can destroy obsidian, but until it actually destroys the obsidian in question I've got cover. I think, if it goes well, the first half is basically going to be like a circular game of Space Invaders or whatever the one is that actually gives you some blocks that get slowly worn down but you can hide behind them until that actually happens. After that, from what the Wiki says, I just need to embrace my inner Norman Bates.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh my what.Two skulls in one Nether run. That brings me up to enough to start seriously considering finding a location for the Wither Temple.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

fight the wither in the end. plenty of distractions for it to attack instead of you.

This topic so far

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I've actually seriously considered taking some soul sand and skulls into the End on my first trip there, and spawning the Wither while the Dragon still lives. If the Dragon would attack the Wither once the Wither starts going after it, it could end up being a sort of pointless ultimate showdown, as, seeing as the Dragon regenerates and the Wither can sap the Dragon's health to heal itself, neither one is likely to die without my intervention.On the other hand, fighting it myself just seems like more fun.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Problem with fighting it in the end is it could get killed while over the void.Also, though endstone is the most blast-resistant block that can be destroyed by blasts, the Wither could still blow the floor out from under you if you're near an edge. Even getting it to fight the dragon might be hard because it will attack endermen.~Unit#phntk#1

Ooh, the void is a problem, but I don't think most of the things it could target are over the void, so I see that risk as being fairly minimal.The main thing, really, is getting it to attack things that aren't me. Were I doing this in Creative, I'd bring in my favorite noodle utility mobs and spawn a lot of Iron Golems to make the whole thing truly, absurdly chaotic.Also, I recently pulled off two very neat Ghast kills. The first was against a single Ghast, and I wasn't sure I could deflect the fireball to hit it, so I tried to shoot it with an arrow... the arrow hit the fireball and the fireball hit the Ghast. The second involved deflecting a fireball from one ghast to hit a fireball launched by a second ghast, knocking the second fireball back towards the second Ghast.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The dragon will always focus on you, and Most of the Wither's attacks are too slow to even hit the dragon anyway. Tested in creative mode.You're best off defeating the dragon before you spawn a Wither in there. Not only will you no longer have to worry about the dragon getting in your way, but the Wither won't have any excuse to go flying off over the void trying to follow the dragon.

This topic so far

Vs.

Mmh. Well, that takes a bit of the fun out of it.Honestly, what I really want to do is find a Stronghold in Technic so I can bring some of the insane troll weapons of EE into the End. Come to think of it, a blunderbuss would probably be pretty fun there, too, purely as a crowd-control measure - fire the proto-shotgun, watch as a dozen or so Endermen scatter to avoid getting hit. Then there's the Mining Laser... Or the Cannon... Yeah, Technic provides way too many fun ways to carry out that battle.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Honestly, my biggest problem is that Technic has too much stuff to do/build/use, it gets overwhelming. So, one tends to EMC up and endgame one or two of the elements, and then get bored and/or overwhelmed. Tekkit is interminably slow progression-wise, but at least I'm still making plans for the future.That and Thaumcraft is just a tiny bit invasive compared to the rest of the Technic modifications, even though it still is my favorite part of Technic.Actually, speaking of Tekkit: I've got a turtle, but mining with it is still pretty labor-intensive even with Divining Rod support; I need better ways to deal with extra blocks. To that end, I plan on making a Tunnel Bore from Railcraft, hooking it up to a bunch of Chest Carts and an Anchor Cart, and then setting it loose for a few hours while I go build a house or a castle or something; when it runs out of juice, I'll dump the contents into my Energy Condenser and finally get some worthwhile EMC progress. Is this a good way to go, or am I going to be forced to use Buildcraft and IndustrialCraft for things besides basic machines and armors?(Actually, on that subject, is there anything actually fun I can do with those two modifications? The only real endgame content I ever hear about is Nano/Quantum Armor and nuclear reactors, and frankly the latter sounds pointless since there's no real endgame machines to build. This is a problem I had in Technic as well, which is why I ended up focusing on EE and Thaumcraft at the expense of BC/IC progression. At least this time I'm exploring Railcraft some more...)

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)