BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

To be

New blood, new arguments. Let's just be thankful that's its just individual PCs, and not Armies of PC Organizations...

"Alright, army of Fa-Toa. Link hands, and accelerate this metal ball into that guy over there."

Before I try anything crazy, I check with a staffer first. For example: Casanuva's railgun was approved; the Kal Cannon wasn't. Basically a manual generator that a Fa-Toa could spin up and shoot lightning with. There one more crazy idea I have for Casanuva, should he ever meet Echelon, but that will be going directly to Ghosthands.

Also, to be fair, BS01 is not to be relied on entirely; says Ba-Toa can create black holes.

Edited by Keeper of Kraata

The times, they are a-changing...

bs01 is to be relied on entirely, as the only reason toa can't create black holes here is that we say they can't. in canon, they can.

its a common sense ruling. black holes, being things you stay as far the away from as you can (despite what christopher nolan would tell you) are a no-no, according to common sense. similarly, absorbing the gravity in an area? common sense no-no.

take bs01 at its word until we say not to - and again, PM ghosthands if you have any questions re: elemental usage

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Well, then... Looks like Iron it is...

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

You know the funny thing about Physics?

The more I study it, the more it tells me what I can't do with an element rather than what I can. It's one thing to read a Wikipedia article or two, but it's another thing entirely to understand the concepts you've read about. And when you do understand them, you will often find that it would be extremely difficult (or outright impossible) to exploit them the ways you thought you could.

I'm certainly not saying everything we do in the game should be scientifically correct (although I do think it makes a very good benchmark); it's very rare to come across a work of science fiction that follows science to the letter, because in fiction, ultimately, the plot and the characters are more important.

In analogue to that, what I've come to realise over my time playing the BZPRPG—and joining the Staff has thrown this into even sharper relief—is that when it comes to powers, gameplay and balance should come before science and 'rule of cool'. Quite often when one tries to play around with physics one's going to get something wrong anyway, so what you should really think about is whether your idea is fair.

I love a good bit of technobabble as much as the next man, but you have to keep the big picture in mind. ;)

• Upvote 5

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

A good thing to remember is that the BZPRPG isn't a game to be won: it's a game of character interaction and storytelling. Sure, there are plenty of battles factored into that, but the point of this game is not to win. It's to tell a good story. That's the deciding factor in whatever powers you try to use: are they fair to everyone involved, and do they help tell a good story? 

Chances are, if an argument over a particular power stretches over multiple N&D pages, it's probably not a fair or balanced power, and it's just going to harm the game. There's a time and a place for awesome displays of power (see BZPRPG 2010: Uhuraz vs. the Universe), but only ever in service to the story, and not at the expense of other players.

• Upvote 4

A good thing to remember is that the BZPRPG isn't a game to be won: it's a game of character interaction and storytelling. Sure, there are plenty of battles factored into that, but the point of this game is not to win. It's to tell a good story. That's the deciding factor in whatever powers you try to use: are they fair to everyone involved, and do they help tell a good story? 

Chances are, if an argument over a particular power stretches over multiple N&D pages, it's probably not a fair or balanced power, and it's just going to harm the game. There's a time and a place for awesome displays of power (see BZPRPG 2010: Uhuraz vs. the Universe), but only ever in service to the story, and not at the expense of other players.

Quoting Eyru here because this post really deserves it.

This is what powers in the BZPRPG boil down to.  Yes, there's a metric ton of (scientifically accurate) ways I'd love to use Elements and powers and technically there's nothing saying that my characters shouldn't be able to use them like that, but it's not a question of possibility so much as good story telling.

Heck, the Enterprise could'a beamed a Photon Torpedo over to every single villain's ship and blown them sky high in an instant, but it sure would've made for a boring episode.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

I really need to stop posting all of my new characters in Ko-Wahi...

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Well, so far they've actually all had reasons to be there.

Verulas, who initially didn't have one, left for Ta-Koro and came back in order to make some widgets after the attack started.

Dravennica originally went there because she's trying to kill Verulas, and is now hanging out with one of Miras' characters, one of Grimlock's characters, and Krakant.

Zenithex, a lost Brotherhood of Ak'rei'an member, went there to murder someone, and is now hanging out with some of the Brotherhood characters who are trying to rescue one of their comrades.

And Septima, who has bad memories in both Ta-Koro and Onu-Koro, is there to do some looting, but is currently being held at knife-point by an Onu-Matoran.

Also, I've had better luck finding interaction in Ko-Koro than in Ta-Koro, oddly enough.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I'm with a Hubert on this one. Po is great.

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well, Zenithex is in the Brotherhood, so I'm sure I'll be heading that way eventually...

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I dropped a character there, too.

She got arrested.

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Apparently owning a Rahkshi is a crime. :( Edited by Roman Torchwick

Of course it is. It's the equivalent of owning a bomb, we don't just let people possess that sort of thing casually.

Uh... whut? Plenty of people in this game casually possess explosives. 

• Upvote 1

Of course it is. It's the equivalent of owning a bomb, we don't just let people possess that sort of thing casually.

Uh... whut? Plenty of people in this game casually possess explosives. 

I believe Gear was using a real life example here, Roman.

Question time: if a wounded Matoran comes into contact with a Toa Stone, will their body still have the injury after the transformation?

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

That depends. A loss of limb, for example, will not be healed. Sulov had lost his hand prior to his transformation, and he did not regain it. A cut, on the other hand, is a minor injury. Given that a Toa transformation completely restructures and changes the body, it isn't hard to believe that it would heal small injuries. In other words, small things (a cut, a bruise, things of that nature) would likely heal. Anything that the body couldn't feasibly restore through its own healing process (too much blood loss, loss of limb, loss of organ, etc) will not.

It's entirely a hypothetical question, however. Toa Stones are rare, and their use generally requires being somewhere specific. From a purely statistical standpoint, it's unlikely the situation will ever come about in any major way.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Talking of that, if you want one of your matoran characters to become a toa, 1. is it possible? and 2. If so, how does it actually work?

I assume you have to get a staffy's approval, but if you do, can you just say IC that they find a toa stone etc? I mean, I'm assuming that toa stones are very rare indeed, but with toa-turaga transformations taking place sometimes, it isn't impossible that a few will turn up...

Kathok

I wonder if you can just do it the Green Lantern way...

You can't.

Staff has made a point about Toa Stones being rare. They are supposed to be rewards for good roleplaying and just having your character find one counteracts that.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Talking of that, if you want one of your matoran characters to become a toa, 1. is it possible? and 2. If so, how does it actually work?

I assume you have to get a staffy's approval, but if you do, can you just say IC that they find a toa stone etc? I mean, I'm assuming that toa stones are very rare indeed, but with toa-turaga transformations taking place sometimes, it isn't impossible that a few will turn up...

No, you can't just find one. They're a reward. You can ask, but it doesn't help your case.

They are exceedingly rare.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG